This salad is a little different. It’s a refreshing summer salad, but I have to admit that I have made it before for holidays too – yes, because of it’s color
But also because of it can really lighten an otherwise heavy holiday meal. And I make it for parties! Basically, when I can get halfway decent strawberries and fresh basil, this comes to mind!
It is mostly sweet, with just a bit of a tang and the fresh basil goes so very well with the sweet strawberries and the crisp clean flavor of the cucumber!
If you have never heard of white balsamic creme, that’s also something to check out. It goes so well in so many recipes and is much more readily available these days!
You will need:
1 hothouse cucumber
1 small clam shell of fresh strawberries
1 handful of fresh basil
1.5 tbsp of white balsamic creme (it’s much thicker, sweeter, lighter and much less acidic than the regular balsamic vinegar)
1 tbsp good honey
1 tbsp of walnut or hazelnut oil (you can also use a light olive oil, even though the nut oil gives a really lovely flavor nuance)
1 tbsp of pomegranate juice (could substitute cranberry juice or even lime juice)
1/2 tsp or more of freshly ground pepper
And here is how you do it:
- Cut the cucumbers and strawberries into bite size pieces and put in a bowl.
- Cut the fresh basil leaves into strips and add to bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a jar with lid, shake vigorously to mix and then pour over the salad. Stir everything to mix well.
- Chill for about 1 hr before serving! The flavors will have married nicely by then!
- Stir again before serving to coat all pieces evenly with the dressing, as the cucumber will have released some water!