Thick, Creamy Vegan Yogurt
If you have ever ventured into the vegan yogurt making territory, you will know that it’s a bit of a to do. While non-dairy milk can make a pretty great tasting yogurt, the texture is a challenge. Usually, vegan yogurts come out pretty runny, unless we add gums and thickeners to counterbalance that. For years now, I’ve gone through all that. I love yogurt, so it’s worth it.
But just recently I discovered, somewhat by accident, that there is an easier way. Even easier than dairy yogurt! I know, right?!
There is one caveat though (isn’t there always?)
There is one main ingredient you can NOT replace. This ingredient is the Ripple (Original or Unsweetened.) It does need to be the Ripple to work.
And that is how I discovered this. I finally wanted to know what all the fuss was about, and got myself a bottle of Ripple. I made vegan milk kefir with it (I will write about keeping milk kefir grains alive in non-dairy milk in another post) and found that the resulting kefir came out quite thick. Usually, much like the dairy-free yogurt, it is thin and runny. Not this time.
Of course, I then wondered if maybe yogurt could be done the same way. Since I didn’t heat the Ripple to make the kefir, I added the Ripple milk straight from the fridge to my instant pot (my fav appliance for making yogurt – but it will work with other yogurt making methods, too.)
With the addition of some previously made yogurt (any will do, as long as it has live cultures in it,) some maple syrup and some Silk Whipping Cream (it’s vegan) I set the Instant Pot to the yogurt setting for 10 hours and went to bed.
The next morning I was greeted by unbelievably thick and creamy yogurt.
The flavor was excellent, the texture amazing, the richness out of this world. The “cream” had something to do with that, but it is actually optional, even though I highly recommend it if you love thick, rich yogurt.
After chilling the yogurt for a few hours in the refrigerator, it had thickened up some more, to the point that I could stand up a spoon in it for a few seconds.
You guys!! This yogurt has been my obsession ever since. I’ve been making it regularly and just can’t get enough of it!
Thick, Creamy Vegan Yogurt
- Instant Pot
- 48 fl oz Ripple Dairy-Free Milk (Original, unsweetened or vanilla)
- 1 cup Silk® Dairy-Free Heavy Whipping Cream Alternative (Optional, but definitely worth it!)
- 1/3 cup active, live yogurt (Any of the live dairy-free yogurts with active yogurt cultures, or some yogurt from a previous homemade batch, or vegan yogurt starter.)
- 1/3 cup sweetener of choice (optional) (I love maple syrup.)
- Add all the ingredients into the instant pot and whisk together. Cold from the fridge is fine.
- Close the lid, set the yogurt function to your chosen time (my sweet spot seems to be at 10 ½ hrs.) and let the Instant Pot do it's thing. You may want to start with less time, taste it and see at what level of tartness you like it.
- You can also whisk the ingredients together, fill the mix into jars and set those into the instant pot. Pour about 1 cup of water into the pot. No trivet necessary. Then set it to the yogurt function for your desired time.
- Refrigerate the yogurt to further set it. Enjoy!
- This will get so thick, a spoon will actually stand in it. Without draining or anything!
- Over time, some liquid will form around the yogurt. Just stir it back in, or drain it off.
- You can also make this yogurt without an Instant Pot, using any other method of yogurt making you usually use.